Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Solid Foundation

Today I was reading in Luke 6 and how Jesus taught about the parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders.

46 “So why do you keep calling me ‘Lord, Lord!’ when you don’t do what I say? 47 I will show you what it’s like when someone comes to me, listens to my teaching, and then follows it. 48 It is like a person building a house who digs deep and lays the foundation on solid rock. When the floodwaters rise and break against that house, it stands firm because it is well built. 49 But anyone who hears and doesn’t obey is like a person who builds a house without a foundation. When the floods sweep down against that house, it will collapse into a heap of ruins.”

I began to think to myself about things in this world that don't have a strong foundation. I read an article about the Tower of Pisa and how it is leaning because the builders only gave this 183 foot tower a 3 foot deep foundation. On top of that the word "Pisa" means marshy land.

As Christians it is so important that we have a strong foundation! We have to be in the Word so that we can know what it is we are supposed to do, and then we need to do it.

Francis Chan had an analogy once about how if a father told his daughter to go clean her room and she went and came back and said, "dad I memorized what you said...go clean your room...go clean your room."

The father would be upset because his daughter did not do what he told her to do. Sure she memorized it and she knew what she was to do, but she didn't do it. The father then tells his daughter to go and clean her room.

She goes into her room and comes back and says, "dad I have learned how to say clean your room in Hebrew, Greek and some crazy African dialect with tongue clacks and everything. (I added that last one)

The father was even more upset because he daughter was not doing what he told her to do. This is such a mirror to our lives sometimes. We know what we are supposed to do but we don't.

God calls us to do these things so we can build a solid foundation of our faith. So that when the storms of this life come and try to pull us away, we stand firm on what we know to be true...that is Jesus is Lord.

When we are obedient in the small things we have a solid foundation to be obedient when the big storms come around.

No comments:

Post a Comment